.

.
Written by Nikki Kelly, Director at LegalStaff

Monday, April 3, 2017

Prior to my position at LegalStaff, I had never used Uber.  But now, every time I take the train from my home in Tustin to my office in the Kearny Mesa area of San Diego, I take an Uber from the train station to my office in the morning, then back to the train station in the afternoon.  I meet the most incredible people as they drive me to and from the office.  And when I say "incredible", I don't always mean in a good way.  I am naturally an outgoing person, so I tend to talk to my drivers.....I am figuring out that perhaps it sometimes might be better to get in the car and pop in some headphones.

On this particular day, I had a female driver. We made a little small talk as I settled in and she got on the right route to my office.  Somehow (and I guarantee I did not initiate this topic of conversation) we, well she, started talking about men and how hard it was to date these days.  Maybe it's just that I have "that kind of face" that make people want to talk to me.....maybe I should have gone into counseling?  She proceeded to tell me numerous dating horror stories that she had recently gone through.  And when I say she told me stories, I don't mean vague stories.  For some reason she thought it would be ok to tell me details.....About how one man took her and her son on a boat with his friends on their second date assuring her that it would be a family event but the boat turned out to be fully equipped with a stripper pole and strippers.  Unfortunately, by the time she realized that this wasn't going to be the man of her dreams, they were too far out for she and her son to get off and swim back, so she had to suffer through it (I think her son was 11.....I'm guessing he didn't hate the experience). But let's be honest, I'm a mom and I'm not so sure I would take my 9 year old child out on a boat on a second date with a man I'd met on-line, so perhaps she was doomed from the start.  Regardless, I was regaled with stories such as this one for the 15 minute ride to my office, and if I remember correctly, this was the tamest of the bunch.  To her credit, by the end of the car ride, she said to me "Gosh, those are really horrible stories.  Perhaps I should take a break from dating for a while."  I sure do wish her lots of luck and hopefully her Prince Charming doesn't even own a boat.

No comments: