.

.
Written by Nikki Kelly, Director at LegalStaff

Friday, May 12, 2017

On this particular day it was pouring rain. I decided to leave a few minutes early just in case. In retrospect, it's a good thing I did. I called for an Uber and watched as my driver (4 minutes away) began to make his way to my location. Then I watched on the Uber map as he then proceeded to make several wrong turns leading him in the wrong direction. To me, it even looked like he went off-roading at one point because according to the map there was no road where he was driving. After multiple U turns he appeared to be on the right track, so I went downstairs to wait for him. I waited in the lobby since it was raining and watched on the map as he drove by the building several times. I really thought that all Uber drivers have GPS in their cars and could follow a mapped route but this guy made me doubt that theory.

When it looked like he had finally found the building, I opened my umbrella and stepped outside into the parking lot and to my surprise (perhaps I shouldn't have been surprised) he was nowhere to be found. According to the map, the car was stopped, so I called him. I had a bit of a hard time understanding him due to an accent, but he explained to me that he was there, and waiting in front of the building. I explained that he wasn't in front of the building, and if he's at the building he must be on the side and could he please drive around the building to the front.  He said that he's already at the building. I said I understood but he was at the side and could he please drive around to the front and he told me to walk to where he was. I explained that it's pouring and that it would be great if he could just drive towards the exit because that's where I was. He said he's already at the building. I said again that I realize that he's at the building and I am at the building as well and he said he can't see me and as I tried to answer he interrupted and said that he is canceling the trip and I need to find a new ride. What the heck???? I actually had to get someone from my office to take me to the train station. As I called up to my office, I watched him drive right by me to exit the parking lot.  He literally could have stopped for 2 seconds and picked me up. Thank goodness one of my staff was able to leave right then and get me to the train on time.

No comments: